Yakhni Palau Recipe
About this recipe
Yakhni means broth and Palau is rice cooked in Broth. You will find variations of this receipe all through middle-east and Central Asian countries as Palau (Pilaf) is quite common cooked cooked with meat broth.
Pakistani Yakni Palau
Paulau is very popular in Punjab as Bastmati rice is planted in plains of Punjab in Pakistani, As compared to Biryani most people in Punjab prefer Palau. This dish is mostly cooked on special occassion and certain cuts of meat are used to make the most tastiest Palau. Chunks of rib meat is used along with the fat to give rich taste to the dish.
Steps to cook Lamb Palau
- Prepare lamb bone broth by boiling bones in water for over half-an-hour
- Soak 2 cups of Basmati rice in water for 20 minutes
- Place meat (1 kilo) in a cooker with Shan Yakhni Palau Masala (readily available in most Pakistani Stores). Cooked for around 45 minutes. Add ginger & garlic paste to the mix at the start.
- Once the meat is tender. Filter the liquid through a sieve and remove all spices.
- For Two cups of rice make sure you have 4 cups of broth.
- Place the rice in the cooker along with the meat and broth and steam it for 20 mintues. When the broth is dried and the rice on the top curls up, cover with a cloth and place the lid on the cooker. Steam it for another ten minute. Your delicious Yakni Palau is ready.